The Hemlok BF-R is a heavy burst-fire assault rifle employed by both IMC and Militia forces fighting on The Frontier. Although not as commonly seen as the more standard R-101C Carbine and R-201 Assault Rifle, the Hemlok is still a relatively common sight amongst the hands of Pilots, Grunts and Spectres alike. Its integrated CPU can fire controlled bursts from two, three, five or to a full magazine dump in one trigger pull. Its bulk has been weighted specifically for recoil compensation, as escaping gases port from the multiple vents located near the muzzle. With ideal stopping power and a high caliber round, the Hemlok is a worthy choice of elite Pilots of the Frontier.
|For more detailed gameplay information on the Hemlok BF-R, see the gameplay article here.|
|Iron Sights||Factory issue gunsights are cheap and reliable, but visibility through them can be somewhat limited.||Default Weapon Sight|
|HCOG||The Holographic Combat Optical Gunsight has an open sight picture, making it easier to acquire and track targets, particularly in the vertical. The gunsight is fixed at 1.85X magnification, and includes integrated ammunition readouts.||If It Moves... (III) Challenge: Kill 50 enemies|
|Holosight||The Holosight’s optics are fixed at a 2.1X zoom factor. The sight picture is designed to induce a tighter visual perception, making it effective both at range and in close quarters. The Holosight is equipped with an integrated ammunition readout.||The Expendables (III) Challenge: Kill 50 Grunts|
|AOG||The AOG, or Advanced Optical Gunsight, is fixed at 2.4X magnification, and includes an integrated “current magazine capacity” readout with a backup numerical display. The AOG is ideal for combat at extended range.||The Expendables (II) Challenge: Kill 25 Grunts|
|Extended Magazine||Magazine holds more rounds||Machine War (II) Challenge: Kill 25 Spectres|
|Suppressor||This mod reduces the firing noise and muzzle flash of the weapon, making it ideal for taking your enemies by surprise.||If It Moves... (II) Challenge: Kill 25 Enemies|
|Starburst||This mode converts the Hemlok's burst fire rate to five rounds per shot.||Top Gun (II) Challenge: Kill 15 Pilots|
- If It Moves... - Completing Tier II of this challenge will award the Suppressor mod. Tier III unlocks the HCOG attachment.
- Top Gun - Tier II of this challenge awards the Starburst mod.
- Machine War - Tier II of this challenge grants the Extended Magazine mod.
- Off the Dome - This challenge only offers XP and Burn Cards.
- This Is My Weapon - This challenge only offers XP and Burn Cards.
- Though arguably the least used assault rifle due to its low initial ammo count and relatively low damage output, the Hemlok BF-R can be a deadly weapon if used effectively.
- Though it is recommended to use this weapon in medium to long range encounters, the Hemlok can also be effective at close range when using the iron sights or the H-COG sight.
- When equipping Starburst, it is highly recommended to equip the H-COG Sight as the gun will become less effective at long range and can only be fired five times.
- The Hemlock can fire eight three-round burst while no mods are equipped, ten while Extended Magazine is equipped, and only five while Starburst is equipped.
The Hemlok returns in Titanfall 2 with an updated look. Several distinct changes to the weapon can be noticed, including a redesign of the barrel shroud and magwell. It can be unlocked at level 13 or bought for 100 Credits. It can be found in the hands of enemy Grunts in both Campaign and Multiplayer. It performs similarly to its Titanfall version, being a burst-fire assault rifle with high accuracy and a fast time-to-kill out of close quarters. As in the previous game, it is advised to bring a good close-quarters oriented sidearm like the RE-45 Autopistol.
|Increased ammo capacity.|
|Shoot while sprinting.|
|Fast transition into aiming down the sights.|
|Faster transition when switching to this weapon.|
|Pilot kills increase Tactical availability (Faster cooldown).|
|Open holographic combat optical gunsight.|
|Enhanced zoom scope.|
|Makes enemies easy to spot by applying an AR overlay to them. Warning: Disables extra mod slot.|
|Attachment that displays lifetime weapon XP count for the weapon.|
- The Hemlok BF-R most likely fires the same heavy 7.62-mm Round as the Spitfire LMG. Additionally, the Spitfire is named in game files as the "LMG_Hemlok".
- According to artist Robb Shoberg, the model that would become the X-55 Devotion was originally submitted as a redesigned Hemlok. This, along with several visual similarities and the "HEMLOK MK.II" label on the Devotion suggest that the Devotion is a part of the same weapons family as the Hemlok, along with the Volt SMG.
- The version from Titanfall may also bear inspiration from the M41a1 pulse rifle and LMG from James Cameron's movies Aliens and Avatar, respectively, going by the shape of its barrel shroud and magwell. These elements were removed in Titanfall 2.
- According to Titanfall 2 concept art, its burst mode is computer controlled, allowing it to fire in 2-round bursts, more conventional 3 or 5 round bursts, or even dump the entire mag with one trigger pull.
- The description for Titanfall's Hemlok states the manufacturer as a company called TW Ordnance. However, the one appearing in Titanfall 2, designated the M1A3, bears a Wonyeon Defense. It is possible that, given the massive differences between the two visually, the weapons appearing in Titanfall 1 and 2 are different weapons entirely and share only a name and function.
|Handguns||B3 Wingman (Elite • V2) • Hammond (P2011 • P2016 • P2020) • RE-45 Autopistol • Smart Pistol (MK5 • MK6)|
|Submachine Guns &
Personal Defence Weapons
|Alternator • C.A.R. SMG • R-97 Compact SMG • R-99 SMG • Prowler Burst PDW • Volt|
Battle Rifles & Carbines
|G2A4 Battle Rifle • G2A5 Battle Rifle • G7 Scout • Havoc Rifle • M1A3 Hemlok BF-R • R-101C Carbine • R-201 Assault Rifle • R-301 Carbine • V-47 Flatline (VK-47 Flatline)|
|Light Machine Guns||L-STAR • L-STAR EMG • Spitfire LMG (M600) • X-55 Devotion (Mk3)|
|Sniper Rifles &
Designated Marksman Rifles
|D-101 Longbow DMR • D-2 Double Take • Triple Take • Kraber-AP Sniper • Sentinel ESR • Valkyrie Sniper Rifle|
|Shotguns||EVA-8 Shotgun • Mastiff • Peacekeeper • SA-3 Mozambique|
|Explosives||Arc Grenade • Arc Star • Electric Smoke Grenade • Firestar • Gravity Star •Firestar • Frag Grenade • Satchel Charge • Thermite Grenade|
|Melee Weapons||Data Knife • Grappling Hook • Machete • Pulse Blade|