Grunts are a form of NPC, or minion, featuring in both Titanfall and Titanfall 2. Primarily, they serve as adversaries in the campaign mode in Titanfall 2, and as one of the types of minion used to broaden the scale of multiplayer matches.
Grunts are very weak and easy to kill. Therefore, upon killing one, they only grant a small amount of experience points, unlike killing a Pilot. Unlike the Spectre, their robotic counterpart, they are human foot soldiers, part of the IMC Marine Corps and Militia Riflemen.
They do not pose any real threat to a Pilot, except when in large numbers, otherwise acting as cannon fodder. In Titanfall multiplayer, Grunts' kills do not count towards the team's Attrition score, unless the Burn Card Conscription is used.
Standard equipment of Grunts consists of either the R-101 Compact Carbine, or the EVA-8 Shotgun and an Archer Heavy Rocket used to combat hostile Titans. They do not aim down sights, so their accuracy is the same as hipfiring, meaning they don't have very good accuracy. They also do not lock on their rockets when firing at a Titan. In Titanfall 2 they use a larger variety of weapons, and do not use Anti-Titan weapons.
Damage When Used By Pilot
Damage When Used By Grunt
|R-101C Carbine||Close Range: 50
Long Range: 40
|Close Range: 30
Long Range: 20
|EVA-8 Shotgun||Close Range: 285
Long Range: 28
|Close Range: 50
Long Range: 25
|Archer Heavy Rocket||(Against Titans)
Grunts will call out an alarm for enemy Pilots when they are nearby. They also have scripted animations, such as pulling another injured Grunt to safety or engaging in hand-to-hand combat with enemy Grunts or Spectres. If you assist them in this situation, the Grunt will thank you. If an enemy Pilot gets to close and does not attack, a Grunt may punch or kick the Pilot, wounding him or her. Grunts also have conversations during gameplay, such as speculation about Pilots, debating why they do not have access to Jump Kits, and discussing rumors floating around on both sides. If you are in your Titan, and you can corner them or chase them enough without them getting killed or you being distracted by enemies, then the grunt will do a variation of things:
- He will throw down his gun and pace angrily, then get down onto the ground and pound the floor with his fist.
- He will shakily drop his gun and get on his knees, holding his hands up in surrender.
- He will fall to his knees, drop/loosely hold his gun, and hang his head, shrugging sadly.
Grunts also have random animations that may play once a Pilot stumbles upon them, some of these include:
- Pulling a wounded teammate out of combat
- Two grunts looting a dead grunt's body and after noticing the player, saluting or attacking them depending on the player's faction
- Executing a prisoner with a shotgun
- A grunt gets knocked down by a Spectre, then gets back up and shoots it as it starts to walk away
- A grunt may also fight off two other grunts who are attacking him which will result in a duel against the two with him being the last one standing.
- Grunts are typically armed with a primary weapon and/or an anti-titan weapon.
- An exception to this are Kraber-wielding grunts who draw a P2016 when the player comes too close. Some are also seen equipped solely with a Wingman.
- Grunts have more weapon variety in the game mode Frontier Defense as they can be seen equipped with Spitfire Light Machine Gun, Hemlok BF-R, Sidewinder thus making them a serious threat especially if one is equipped with the Spitfire which can easily kill a distracted pilot.
- In Titanfall 2's campaign, grunts can be seen armed with Volts, Flatlines, Spitfires, Alternators, EPGs, Krabers, Mozambiques, Mag Launchers, G2s, L-STARS, CARs, Electric Smoke Grenades and Firestars.
- These armaments seem to depend on what level the player is in.
- There is a grunt on the Militia side named Barry, he is referenced several times in dialogue.
- During the Shadowfall event in Apex Legends, zombified Grunts can be seen jumping out of supply crates. Killing them will grant loot.
Characters and Factions of Titanfall
|Factions||Interstellar Manufacturing Corporation • Frontier Militia • Marauder Corps • Hammond Robotics|
|Characters||Frontier Militia||James MacAllan • Sarah Briggs • Cheng "Bish" Lorck • Robert "Barker" Taube • Captain Droz • Captain Dunnam • Captain Hainey • Lieutenant Riggins • Sergeant Blanton • Sergeant Emslie • Wilson|
|IMC||Marcus Graves • Blisk • Spyglass • Captain Bracken • Captain Gates • Captain Hackathorn • Captain Riggs • Captain Vaughan • Sergeant Messerly|
|Other||Albert Woodman • Charles Griffith • Doctor Hammond • Doctor Yisv • Eric Yas • Rick • Simulation Artificial Intelligence • Titan OS (Betty • Lisa • Jeeves • Vanessa • Sid • Hannah • Elizabeth • Isabel • Audrey • Sofia • Ryoko• Natalia) • Vlad • Yen|
|Combatants||Pilots • Titans (Atlas • Ogre • Stryder) • Drone (Cloak • Search) • Grunts • Spectres • Marvins|
|Creatures||Leviathans • Flyers|